Kolkata Improvement Trust is a statutory body under the Urban Development Department, Government of West Bengal. It was set up under the Calcutta Improvement Act , 1911 primarily in order to make provision for the improvement and expansion of Calcutta. The basic objectives of the Trust were:
- Opening up congested areas of Calcutta
- Laying out or altering streets
- Providing open spaces for purpose of ventilation or recreation
- Demolishing and/or constructing buildings
- Acquiring land for urban development
- Rehousing of persons of the poorer and working classes displaced by the execution of the improvement schemes
From 1911 onwards, KIT has been on a journey of constant evolution and growth. The strong will to provide better quality of life to the citizens of Kolkata in the face of all challenges is the main reason of its existence for more than hundred years. KIT is still actively engaged in creating new community assets and positioning our great city at par with the modern cities of the country and the world.